In 1990, a 75 foot Aerial Ladder, a 1959 Maxim, and a 1973 Maxim 1000 GPM Foam Engine were placed in service at Station 2. The Foam Engine was purchased from ComEnergy for one dollar. Also in this year the fire department fulltime staff was reduced to four firefighters and the Chief.
In 1991, although not a popular decision, the Town began charging for ambulance service. In 1992 Pre-Hospital defibrillation found its way to the front lines of emergency medical care. Members donated time to raise money for two semi automatic defibrillators.
In 1994 the Department took delivery of a New KME / International 1250 GPM Pumper. This unit was placed in service at Station 1 and dedicated to Fireman Perley Wotton who was killed in the line of duty in 1941. A New 1994 Ford Class 1 Ambulance was placed in service at Station 2. The Chevy ambulance was removed from service.
In 1995, the Freetown Fire Department began paramedic service. Paramedic firefighters have become an essential part of the department’s ever-expanding mission. In November of this year the voters approved funding to hire an additional firefighter to bring staffing levels back up to pre 1990 levels of six fulltime firefighters.
In 1997, the department took delivery of a New KME/International 1250 GPM Pumper. This unit was placed in service at Station 2.
In 1999, a 1976 government surplus military “Deuce and a Half” was converted into a Brush Breaker and placed in service at Station 2. The Jeep forestry unit was relocated to Station 1 and the 1964 Maxim was disposed of.
Some of the memorable fires of the 1990s included a large Warehouse Fire on Middleboro Rd, a 100 plus acre brush fire off of Route 24 in the State Forest, and the Mansour’s Restaurant fire on 4/17/99. A large brush fire off of Chace Road required mutual aid from as far away as Wellfleet. The stubborn blaze would keep fire units on the scene for most of the summer. Finally, there was a 30,000 gallon propane tank leak in Assonet which kept firefighters on scene well into the night.
The end of the 1990’s decade brought hope and optimism for the members of the department with completion of a New Central Fire Headquarters Station on Bullock Road near the Elementary School. This optimism would be tempered with the deaths of six firefighters in Worcester, MA. Freetown Firefighters would show their support for their fallen comrades by attending Funerals and Memorial Services in the closing weeks of December.